I am Malaysian and from Penang and I am a Nyonya. Nyonya is a sub-culture of the Chinese community who have incorporated the Malay and Indian elements in their cuisine and culture. I am a carer, too. I care for my daughter with ASD and this is a way to have my ‘me’ time.
Malaysian bakes and cakes are my speciality, and recently I have included some British ones which I put in my Oriental spin.( I call this Nyonyanised, or fusion). All the items are plant-based, except for the chiffon cakes that has eggs. (vegerarian)
I do traditional Malaysian Chinese snacks like Dragon Balls and Sio Baos.
Peanut cookies are also traditional Malaysian cookies.
The Chocolate and cranberry cookies that I make are the light and crunchy ones.
The cookies comes in Gluten-free options, too.
I now have 3 cheeky takes on your English favourites.
- Chigan, leek and potato pasty is plant-based, and I use vegan quorn instead of chicken and it has oriental spices. I make the rough puff pastry myself and customers do like them. Hence the name chigan, means chicken and vegan.
I am currently developing a Penang Nyonya Chigan Curry Pasty.
- I have a lovely chocolate cake that is super moist.
- The carrot cake has 5 spice powder, star anise and chopped fresh ginger.
- We just developed a vegan festive/winter pie, and it was well received. There will be more seasonal pies coming up.
- I am at this moment developing a vegan cheese, Mocksarella. It has cashew nuts as its base.
I look forward to business to business opportunities.